This course is intended to assist individuals in recognizing their own communication styles and how their individual styles differ from the communication styles of others in the workplace. Additionally, participants learn how to improve their interpersonal skills and how to maintain relationships over time. Through interactive activities, self-assessments, and discussions, participants gain an awareness of their communication styles and learn strategies to resolve conflict and strategies for communicating effectively with those whose styles are unlike their own. Participants learn skills to communicate and listen effectively and maintain relationships through inspiring trust and giving and receiving feedback.
- Determine their communication style
- Develop strategies for interacting with communication styles unlike their own
- Identify and use conflict resolution styles appropriate for different situations
- Identify barriers to communication and strategies to overcome them
- Listen effectively to ensure they have received messages as intended
- Use nonverbal communication to express interest and demonstrate that they are actively engaged in conversations
- Develop strategies for building and maintaining relationships
Overview of Interpersonal Skills
- What Are Interpersonal Skills?
- The Importance of Interpersonal Skills
- The Johari Window
- The Interpersonal Skills Model
- Senge’s Wheel of Learning
Awareness of Self and Others
- The Communicating Styles Survey
- The Four CSS Styles
- The Goal of Effective Communication
- Barriers to Communication
- Mehrabian’s Communication Research
- Communication Realities
- What Is Listening?
- Four-Phase Model of Listening
- Benefits of Good Listening
- Time Spent Listening
- The Three Levels of Listening
Foundations of Emotional Intelligence
- What Is Emotional Intelligence?
- Misconceptions About Emotional Intelligence
- The Four Domains of Emotional Intelligence
- Emotional Intelligence and the Executive Core Qualifications
- What Is Trust?
- The Benefits of Trust
- Behaviors that Rebuild Trust
- What Is Conflict?
- Causes of Conflict
- Effects of Conflict
- Five Basic Conflicts
- The Value of Different Conflict Styles
- Managing Conflict
- Create a Healthy Environment
- Tools for Working Through Conflict